Thursday, May 6, 2010

Do snow clouds have silver linings?

Yes. For sure.
Some of you may be watching the weather forecast for May 8, the date for the 5th Annual Hope Starts Here Challenge. If you haven't seen it, here it is:

Sounds nasty. It is hard for me to believe that the weather for this year's event could be worse than the wind driven shards of ice we rode through last year. It is also hard to believe May 8th could see worse winter weather than March 8th.

Maybe, the forecast will be wrong.

Even if the weatherman is right, I will be at MGH and I hope you will be too. Even if I can't ride because of snow, I will be there. I might run or maybe walk, but I will be there. Smiling. Enjoying the warm companionship of my family and friends.

Why? Because every once in a while it is important to be part of something bigger than yourself: showing our support for patients and families during Brain Tumor Awareness Month, for example.

There is another reason to get out of your cozy, warm bed and get dressed in layers to ride your bike, or walk or run: every once in a while we need to do something outside our comfort zone. When we challenge ourselves in this way, we can get an appreciation for the strength and resolve our brain tumor patients and families display everyday.

If we can meet this challenge, just think what else we can do.

So, come Saturday, get out your hats and gloves and snowpants, come on over to MGH and be part of something extraordinary and memorable.

And the silver lining? We could always build snowmen.

No comments: